Introduction( watch the video clip in our Youtube Channel, Just Click the Youtube Icon Button in the Homepage)
The Nazhoen Gonor Yarphel Tshokpa is diary farm project, which is a joint venture run by five members, and with the funding support of Commercial Agriculture and Resilient Livelihoods Enhancement Programme (CARLEP) and Rural Enterprise Development Corporation Limited (REDCL), they were able to start the construction of dairy shed and pasture development.
The machineries needed for the excavation of the site/ground work has been supported by the Gewog Administration and the community for rendering free daily labor to the group.
About 90 numbers of CGI sheets (9’) (Nu. 79,560/-) and 90 bags of cement (Nu. 35,550/-) were provided for the dairy shed construction. In addition to that, 6 numbers of milk can (Nu. 22,050/-), 1 number of chaff cutter (Nu. 30,800/-) and 25,000 slips of Napier plants (Nu. 50,000/-), with a total worth of Nu. 1,87,160/- were also provided.
Procurement of dairy cattle
The group has procured 9 dairy cattle (4 milch and 5 dry) through the subsidy support of CARLEP (30% of Nu. 40,000/-) and annual insurance of Nu. 8000/- for the first year, and the production has started from 14th of April 2018.
Inauguration of farm
The dairy farm was officially inaugurated by the Chairperson of Dzongkhag Tshogdu on 8th of May 2018.
Daily milk production of the farm: 21.5 liters and cumulative production till date is 558 liters
Means of marketing milk: The processed milk is used for the production of butter and cheese and this diary products are supplied to Yangtse group for sale. At present, butter is being sold at Nu. 280/- per kilogram while cheese at Nu. 30/- per piece (Approximately 100 g while processing).
- The products shall be diversify to other products like Gouda cheese, yoghurt, etc. or supply milk to Chenangri milk plant.
- The breed improvement program shall be triggered through supply of breeding bulls in which the nearby community will be benefited.
- In future, they will be able to supply high producing heifers and breeding bulls to the other farmers.
- Pasture development shall be taken up as a priority for the sustainability of the farm.
- The farm shall serve as an exemplary farm and an educational hub for School Agriculture Program (SAP), where students can make a visit and gain some knowledge on livestock farming.
Livestock Production Officer